Top Tips for a Successful Relocation
Moving can be stressful. Add in relocating to an entirely new area and moving can be downright overwhelming. Never fear –Inlanta Mortgage is here to help you through the process!
Here are our top tips for a successful relocation:
- Leaving it all behind
Whether you own a home or are renting, make sure to give yourself and your family enough time to make arrangements to sell your home or get out of your current lease.
- Renters: Check your rental agreement for instructions and plan on giving your landlord the required notice before you vacate the property.
- Homeowners: Contact a trusted real estate agent in your area to discuss the necessary steps to begin the selling process. If you plan to purchase a home in a new state, be sure to contact your local Inlanta area loan officer to help you seamlessly through the process.
- Making a Budget
Are you relocating for a new job? Check with your employer to see what costs they’ll cover. Some companies will pick up moving expenses entirely, while others may reimburse you for only certain services, an established dollar amount, or not at all. Once you know what’s covered, make sure to factor in travel expenses such as hiring movers, rentals, boxes, shipping your items, gas, flight, hotel, insurance, deposits, and more.
- It’s Give or Take
Now that you have your budget, it’s time to take inventory of everything you own to determine what you value and need the most. Determine if some items would be more cost-effective to sell or leave behind, such as bulky furniture or appliances, and make a plan to get rid of them by having a garage sale, selling online, or donating them. If you’re moving yourself, be sure you have enough moving blankets, boxes and strapping tape to accommodate your stuff.
- Getting it Done
Now for the big question: Logistics. How will you move your items and your family? Are you able to move your stuff on your own, or will you need to hire professionals? This is the time to nail down your relocation process and research your options to figure out what’s right for you. Look into different truck rental companies, shipping container companies, and movers to discuss rates, advantages, disadvantages, etc., to help make your decision.
- The Big Move
Often people forget the importance of making a “day-of” moving plan. Having this plan will ensure you and your family are fully prepared and keep your moving day stress-free. Keep these things in mind:
- What goes in the car with you? Keep your valuables and important documents with you, along with any necessary food/drink. Consider packing a bag or two of items that you’ll need immediately in your new home, such as toys for the kids, a fresh change of clothes, toiletries, electronics, bedding, etc.
- If traveling by car, service your vehicle before you leave to avoid any potential problems while on the road. Plan ahead for directions and any cash you’ll need for tolls/stops along the way.
- Have pets? Plan for enough food and water for the trip and for the first few days in your new home, account for potty stops along the way, and create a safe place for them to travel.
- Make it fun! Enjoy the excitement of your trip with music, movies, and stops along the way.
- Getting Started Over
Little things for your new home, like setting up electric, cable, and phone, can be easily forgotten during a big move. Before you go, set up your utilities so that your home is ready for you when you arrive. In addition, give your forwarding information to your post office so your mail is waiting for you at your new home.
Once you’ve arrived at your final destination, don’t forget to update as soon as possible your personal information for all your banking, insurance, investment and credit card accounts, obtain your new driver license, vehicle registration and license plates, and update any other key identification information.
We hope these tips will help make your relocation a success. If you have any questions regarding the home buying process, please contact me today!